What is the Member Print Exchange?
- This is a print exchange open to ALL active SGCI Members. SGCI Members create an edition that is turned in during the first half of the conference, and receive an exchange portfolio of 10 prints at the end of the conference to take home! Your work from this Member Exchange will be collected by the SGCI Archives at the Zuckerman Museum of Art, as well as local conference area institutions. There is no restriction as to the number of participants in this exchange!
- THEME: The theme of the 2017 Member Print Exchange is “TERMINUS | arrivals & departures|.”
Before Atlanta, there was "Terminus."
In 1837, a stake marking the founding of Terminus was driven into the ground, called the Zero Mile Post, which was the nexus of the Western and Atlantic Railroad. This became the point from which the city of Atlanta emerged. As a transportation hub, the rail lines became symbolic of paths taken or traveled and their intersections became connecting points of opportunity.
Atlanta’s railroad history serves as a metaphor for the timeline of printmaking traditions; traversing enduring classicism and bringing us to our current location with broadly expanded practices. Prints in this edition may focus on the duality of the terminal point as a place for arrivals and departures, beginnings and endings, or any other interpretation of “TERMINUS | arrivals & departures|.”
- PAPER: The paper size is 11” x 14.” (All paper must be archival.) Prints can be full bleed, horizontal or vertical.
- INTERLEAVING: All editions must be interleaved with glassine or equivalent archival protective sheets, also 11” x 14”.) Please do not use newsprint, bags, tracing paper, wax paper, or mylar as interleaving.
- EDITION SIZE: The edition size is 13 prints, numbered 1/13, 2/13, etc.
- PAPERWORK: All members must pre-register to participate in this exchange. The Zuckerman Museum of Art will provide a form to be filled out and turned in with the edition at the conference for archiving purposes. Please type up and print this form out before you arrive at the conference to avoid any issues.
- EXHIBITION: The Member Prints will be exhibited at the Loews Hotel on Saturday, March 18 from 4 pm - 9 pm. The exhibition will be on display in the Ravinia, Piedmont, Dunwoody, Chastain, Inman, Centennial, and Pitman Rooms.
- AWARDS: Four cash awards will be presented for the best prints in the following categories: Best in Show ($500), Best Print by a Student Artist ($250), Best Print by an Emerging Artist ($250), and Best Print by a Professional Artist ($250). Award recipients will be recognized during the SGCI Awards Ceremony, held from 8 - 9 pm on Saturday, March 18 in the Mercer Ballroom of the Loews Hotel.
- COST: It is a $20 fee to participate in the Member Exchange Print Portfolio. If you are not able complete your edition before the conference, you may exchange your place for another artist at your discretion. No refunds will be offered.
- DROP OFF TIMES: Complete editions at the Loews Hotel near the registration table during the following times:
- Wednesday, March 15, 12 pm - 5 pm
- Thursday, March 16, 8 am - 5 pm
- Friday, March 17, 8 am - 2 pm
- At the time of drop off, portfolio participants will be checked against a register of preregistration. All editions will be checked for compliance with the portfolio guidelines for media, size and interleaving, and dryness. All editions must include a completed Information Form provided prior to the conference by the Zuckerman Museum of Art. Participants will be issued a receipt that must be presented at the time of portfolio pick-up on Saturday March 18. The portfolio organizers reserve the right to refuse entry of any submission that fails to conform to the portfolio guidelines. No refund will be offered if the edition does not meet the requirements for inclusion.
- PICK UP TIME: Portfolios must be picked up at the same desk where the editions were originally dropped off during the following times:
- Saturday, March 18, 8 am - 12 pm
- All Member Print Exchange Portfolios will consist of 10, randomly collated prints from the collection. You must present your Member Print Exchange ticket/receipt to collect your portfolio - it is your responsibility to hold on to this ticket! No exchange of portfolios will be offered.
ZMA - Artwork Data Collection Forms
Can I print my paperwork at the hotel?
- We cannot guarantee that a printer will be available for you at the hotel. Therefore, it’s advised to print your paperwork out BEFORE you arrive to the conference.
Can I get a refund if I don’t end up bringing an edition?
- Unfortunately, we do not offer refunds. You can, however, exchange your ticket with a friend or fellow artist who did not pre-register for the Member Print Exchange, and work out payment on an independent level.
Can I sign up to participate in the Member Print Exchange AT the conference if I didn’t pre-register?
- Unfortunately not. (Exchange Portfolios are being produced based on the number of pre-registered participants in the Exchange.) However, you can likely find a friend or fellow artist who pre-registered and ended up not bringing their edition, and turn your edition in in their place.
Will you provide Glassine or other Archival Interleaving?
- NO! We do not have those materials on hand. Please prepare your edition and interleaving before you arrive at the conference hotel to turn them in. Editions without interleaving will not be accepted into the collection.
- LOCAL ATLANTA ART STORES THAT SELL GLASSINE:
- Blick Art Supplies
878 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA 30309
- Sam Flax
Place Brookwood, 1745 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA 30309
- Binders Art Supplies & Frames
650 North Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
- Blick Art Supplies
If you have any additional questions about the Member Print Exchange, please contact Cynthia Lollis at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Question about Member Print Exchange.”