What is a Career Mentor Session?
SGC International is an educational non-profit organization committed to informing our membership about issues and processes concerning original prints, drawings, book arts, and handmade paper. SGCI is pleased to continue the Career Mentoring Services at the 2017 Conference. Services are provided at no cost to SGCI members attending the conference. Mentoring services are available for individuals at all stages of their careers – whether you are an undergraduate student thinking about an MFA, a graduate student seeking career advice, an independent artist looking to start a press, or someone in a tenure-track position looking for advice about navigating academia. There are a limited number of spots, so sign up will be first-come, first-served until sessions are full.
Mentor Sessions will be held in Salon I at the Loews Hotel.
Mentoring Topics include (but are not limited to):
- Artist Portfolio Reviews
- Career Advice for Emerging and Mid-Career Artists
- Tenure and Academic Advancement
- Independent Presses, Non-Profits, and Community-Based Art
Mentor sessions are 20 minutes in duration. Wifi is not guaranteed, so if you plan to show any artwork, documents, etc on your computer or tablet, it is recommended that you download PDF documents or other files that do not require wireless internet to see before you arrive for your session.
- Thursday, March 16, 11 am - 4 pm, Loews Hotel Ravinia Room
- Friday, March 15, 11 am - 4 pm, Loews Hotel Ravinia Room
- Free! There is no cost for any SGCI Member to register for a Career Mentor Session.
- Mentors are SGCI Members who are experienced professionals, and want to serve our membership and foster interest in our field. This is a volunteer service that they provide.
Sign Up to Become a Mentor
Becoming a mentor is an outstanding way to serve our membership and foster interest in our field. Applicants must be an experienced professional and available for at least a 90 minute mentoring session at the conference (one session serves 3 mentors for 20 minute sessions each, with 10 minute breaks between sessions). All mentors will receive a special gift in recognition of their service.
Application to become a mentor can be found at the SGC International organization website:
Complete the form by December 15, 2016.
For any questions on becoming a mentor or signing up for mentorship, please contact SGCI Vice President of Outreach, Nicole Hand, at firstname.lastname@example.org